Wow, Friday has been extra crazy. We are celebrating my husband’s big 3-0 this weekend and since its going to consume most of my Saturday and I refuse to meal prep on Sunday (day of rest), I meal prepped for the week today! The song should really go “just another manic Friday” instead of Monday. (the song is by the Bangles, if anyone is interested). Anyways, that’s my side tangent. I have been trying to take more pictures on my glorious iPhone 6s, one day I will update, so that you can see more of the products I use as well as get a sense on what I buy at the grocery store. #toopersonal, sorry but not sorry! Also fair warning, this post has 3 recipes in it so be patient because it’s a long one!
Anyways, lets start with breakfast; it was made in the oven so it was the first thing I made. I got the inspiration for this recipe from a nanny friend of mine who makes this for her nanny kiddos a lot. Let me tell you working as a nanny for the past 2 years before moving away and not being able to nanny anymore (because I am super pregnant) was one of the best decisions of my life. I met some really wonderful people and made some lifelong friends!
Back to breakfast, its a casserole and it makes 8 servings depending on how big you slice them or how thick you like it. So grease up that casserole dish (9×13 and I like pam) and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
I love simply potatoes, one because they are easy and fit perfectly in the pan and two because I am now lazy and don’t feel like grating potatoes anymore. The next picture is the only spices I use in the recipe, followed by the process.
- 1 bag simply potatoes
- spices: I like paprika, sea salt and pepper (note all of my recipes use sea salt)
- 1 cup or one large handful of chopped spinach
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 cup (roughly) of bacon bits (from Sam’s club)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (this one is Colby jack)
- 5 eggs, whisked (I prefer cage free organic brown extra large ones)
- preheat oven for 350 degrees, grease a 9×13 casserole dish (mine is a pyrex)
- spread potatoes evenly across the bottom
- shake on your spices (I use about 1 tbsp for each)
- spread your diced onion
- next comes the spinach and the bacon bits, then mix it all together!
- add your whisked eggs, make sure they are spread out evenly
- sprinkle your cheese accordingly
- place in oven and forget about it for 35 glorious minutes
See below for finished product!
Now that I have set my timer and forgotten about the amazing smelling breakfast in my oven, I move on to the easy part one of lunch making, another thing to forget about, boiling water!
Lunches this week, I did warn my husband are a little lame. I am quite lucky because he doesn’t care and he would rather have me relaxing at 38 weeks pregnant, but oh well! So fill up a pot and turn on that stove because we are about to get our boil on. Steak alfredo in a mason jar!
So water is on the stove waiting to boil, what can I do in the meantime, measure out my sauce. Again, I prefer to cheat and buy store bought. It’s amazing and easy so I measure out the serving size and pour it into the mason jars. Next I pulled out my steaks (use whatever protein you have laying around your house, we just had a lot of leftover steaks from a different night). Chop them up into cubes, at this point your water should be rumbling so you can add in your box of linguine pasta and let it boil for 9-11 minutes (you will have some leftover pasta, can anyone say dinner tonight?) then chop up the veggies you want to use and wait for the pasta to finish dancing.
Ingredients from bottom to top:
- 1/4 cup alfredo sauce
- 1 cup of linguine pasta (you can use spaghetti if that’s what you have)
- cubed steak to your liking (or any protein)
- diced broccoli and diced snap peas or any veggies you have in your home
- my husband doesn’t like tomatoes so I only put cherry tomatoes in mine!
Now your timer should be going off for your oven, make sure you test it like you would a cake and make sure your knife comes out clean when you stab into it. Alright your going to have to let it cool for a while, so let’s make some wraps.
I lay my 6 wraps on the counter, spread some of this amazing spinach artichoke dip on it (if you like mayo better, use that) then I lay down the cheese. I like the thin slices you can then have more than one slice, I will use two since the wraps are so big. Following the cheese is your protein. Today deli ham was on sale so that’s what I went with, you can use turkey and I am sure that would be just as yummy in your tummy. Now I roll them and cut them in half and place them into lunch size baggies. They will be served with a side of pretzel thins and some fresh fruit.
- wraps or tortillas
- a spread, I like the spinach dip from Sam’s club but you can use whatever tickles your fancy for the week (make sure you look at the nutrition label and follow the suggested serving size)
- cheese, 2 slices depending on the size of your wrap
- 5 pieces of lunch meat. I picked ham because it was what was on sale but again cater to your likes and wants
Since we are having the party on Saturday, I am hoping (fingers crossed) for leftovers so I don’t need to prep as much for dinners. There will be a post about the BIG 3-0 and the great recipes I will be using, so until next time, stay strong and eat good food!